Breadfruit is a common vegetable used in South India, mainly in Mangalore side it is very popular. This vegetable tastes fresh, juicy and has got a lot of flavor in it. Breadfruit sambar and curry are usually prepared for marriage events.Tt is called as ”Puli Kajippu” in local language ‘Tulu’ and ”Majjige Huli” in ‘Kannada’, “Mor Kuzhambu” in Tamilnadu, ‘Pulissery’ in Kerala. The techniques and few ingredients change from place to place. The recipe which I am going to share here is pure Mangalorean yogurt curry, a traditional dish- must in functions and festivals.
- Breadfruit- 1 ( peeled and cubed)
- Yogurt- 1 cup
- Grated coconut- 1/2 cup
- Green chilly- 2 (or more if you want it to be spicy)
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tbs
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tbs
- Tampering: Ghee, mustard seeds, curry leaves, curd chilly
- Boil the vegetable in a vessel with a cup of water or more
- Grind coconut, turmeric powder, green chilly and cumin seeds into smooth paste by adding little water
- When the vegetable is almost boiled add the ground paste, salt and let it boil for 3-4 minutes
- Now add the yogurt, stir well and boil for another 3-4 minutes
- Tamper it well with the above mentioned ingredients and serve it hot with rice
NOTE: You can use any vegetable instead of breadfruit. For example: beans, white pumpkin, capsicum or okra.