Savthekayi is one common vegetable used in South India. This is little different than normal cucumbers. Savthekayi or vellarikka has thin uneven yellow stripes all over. This curry is easy to prepare and tastes wonderful. Today I am going to share my mom’s recipe of savthekayi curry.
- Mangalore cucumber- 1
- Freshly grated coconut- 1 cup
- Cumin seeds- 1 tbs
- Coriander seeds- 1 tbs
- Tamarind- 1 small lemon sized ball
- Red chilly- 3-4 (depending upon your taste)
- Black eyed beans- 3/4 cup (soaked overnight)
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tbs
- Tampering- ghee, onion, garlic cloves, mustard and curry leaves
- Cook black eyed beans with little salt, drain and keep it aside.
- Wash and cut the Mangalore cucumber into cubes and in a separate vessel cook them with little salt.
- Now grind coconut, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, red chillies and tamarind into smooth paste by adding little water.
- Now take a curry making vessel and add this ground paste along with cooked vegetable and beans (add water for getting the consistency of curry)
- Now adjust the salt and add if needed more. Tamper it with sliced friend onions, friend garlic cloves, mustard and curry leaves in ghee.
- Serve it with piping hot rice.