Badanekayi bolu huli is specialty at Shri Krishna temple (matt) Udupi. I love to eat at South Karnataka temples, the lunch which is served as prasadam is very delicious. Udupi matt is also famous for tomato saru or rasam. Today I am going to share green eggplant curry here, which goes well with hot rice.
- Green eggplants- 2
- Toor dal- 1/2 cup
- Turmeric- 1/2 tbs
- Tamarind paste- 1/2 tbs
- Jaggery- 1/2 tbs
- Ghee- 1/2 tbs
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tbs
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tbs
- Green chillies- 4-5 (medium spiced)
- Curry leaves- 4-5
- Coriander leaves- 1 strand finely chopped
- A generous pinch of asafoetida
- Pressure cook dal with turmeric and ghee.
- Cook eggplants (cut into cubes) separately with little water and salt to taste.
- Add cooked dal and eggplant along with tamarind and jaggery and boil it for 3-4 minutes.
- Now tamper it with mustard, cumin, green chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves in ghee.
- Now add chopped coriander leaves and eggplant green curry is ready to be served with hot rice.
Note: Do not make the curry too watery or too thick. Control the consistency by adjusting the water you use for cooking dal and eggplant. You can also add 2-3 tbs of coconut milk for extra flavor.