Harive soppu palya or Amaranth leaves stir fry is a south Indian delicacy, usually served with roti or rice. It is rich in vitamins, proteins and antioxidants. Due to its high iron content it is advised by doctors as Hemoglobin supplement. You can also cook it with potato, mixed sprouts to enhance the flavor. If you want to try some healthy leafy vegetable then this is perfect choice.
- Harive soppu/Amaranth leaves- 1 big bunch
- Green chilly- 2
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tbs
- Black gram- 1/2 tbs
- Garlic- 3 cloves
- Oil- 1 tbs
- Coconut- 2 tbs (grated)
- Wash and chop the leaves along with stem
- In a deep pan add a tbs of oil, mustard seed, black gram and crushed garlic cloves
- when it starts spluttering add slitted green chillies and fry well for 3 minutes
- Now add the chopped leafy vegetable, salt and a cup of water
- Let it all cook well (around 15-20 minutes)
- At the end add grated coconut and take out from the flame
- Serve it hot with roti or rice.
Note: If you want the stir fry to be little dry then let all the water evaporate before you take out the dish from the flame.