Palak rice or Spinach rice is one healthy and delicious dish perfect for light lunch. One speciality of this is you can add vegetables and nuts according to your taste. Or just prepare plain simple palak rice without any vegetables just like how I did. This is perfect recipe for all those fussy people who dislike green leafy vegetable in their daily meals. This is one healthy tasty and easy dish so it is three in one 🙂
- Palak/Spinach- 2 cups, finely chopped
- Onion- 1 medium
- Green chilly- 2
- Bay leaves- 1
- Cloves- 3
- Basmathi rice- 1 big cup (serves 2)
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tbs
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tbs
- Ghee/clarified butter
- Wash and soak basmathi rice in water for 15 minutes
- Blend chopped spinach leaves with little water to prepare smooth paste
- In a pressure cooker add a table spoon of olive oil. Upon heating add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, let them splutter.
- Add chopped onions, green chilies, bay leave and cloves. Fry well until the onions turn translucent.
- Now drain the rice and add into the pressure cooker, add salt and mix well for 2 minutes
- Along with spinach paste add approximately 2 cups of water to cook the rice (always follow 1:2 (rice:water) ratio while cooking white rice or basmathi rice)
- After 3 whistles take out from the flame.When the pressure is completely gone open the lid and serve it hot.
- I used yogurt with chat masala and salted cabbage and carrot stripes with white vinegar for side dishes. You can serve it with raitha and pickles too.
Note: You can add tomatoes and other vegetables along with onion. Fried nuts can also be added to enhance the taste.