Bendekai or ladies finger kuzhambu is one traditional recipe mainly from South India, Tamil Nadu. I love the way it tastes tangy and spicy with hot rice.I had this fresh and young okra available at home so I cooked kuzhambu with rice. Here is my modified recipe for okra kuzhambu. Freshly ground spices will give brilliant aroma and taste.
- Ladies finger/Okra- 15 (serves 2)
- Mustard- 1 tbs
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tbs
- Red chilly- 1
- Onion- 1 small
- Curry leaves- 1 strand
- Salt- to taste
- Turmeric- 1 tbs
- Tamarind- 1 lemon size
Masala to grind:
- Coriander seeds- 1/2 tbs
- Cumin seeds- 1/2 tbs
- Pepper corns- 5 in number
- Red chilly- 2
- Garlic- 2 cloves
- Curry leaves- 4
- Onion- 1/4
- Coconut- 3 to 4 tbs
- Wash and wipe the water from ladies finger by using the dry clothes. Cut them into 1 inch long pieces.
- Soak tamarind in water for about 15 minutes and extract the juice into 1 cup
- Fry the ingredients under the masala to grind section and grind it into fine paste
- In a pan add a spoon of olive oil and fry ladies finger for 5 to 10 minutes
- In another pan add oil, mustard, fenugreek seeds upon spluttering add red chilly, curry leaves and chopped onion. Fry till the onion turns translucent.
- Now add chopped tomato and let it become soft
- Add fried ladies finger, ground masala, turmeric and salt to taste with tamarind juice
- Allow to cook for about 10 minutes, let it boil properly to blend the spices well
- Serve it hot with rice
Note: You can also add kuzhambu powder available at markets to give it a little extra flavor and aroma.