Drumsticks are popular in India, mainly in south Indian mixed sambar recipe. It has got an irresistible aroma and flavor that adds into the dish. I am found of this vegetable since my childhood, we even had a big tree in our backyard from where we use to get fresh vegetable and leaves (even drumstick leaves are edible and used in many yummy dishes) Today’s recipe is simple drumstick stir fry.
- Drumsticks- 3-4 in number
- Black pepper powder- 1-1&1/2 tbs
- Onion- 1
- Tomato- 1
- For tampering- Mustard seeds, Urad dal, curry leaves and oil
- Wash and cut the drumsticks into large (finger length)pieces and keep it aside.
- Take a deep pan and add a tbs of oil and upon heating add mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and fry well until it turns to light brown. Now add chopped tomato and stir it well until the tomato pieces becomes mushy.
- To this add drumstick pieces and mix well by adding pepper and salt to taste.
- Sprinkle 2-4 tbs of water and close the lid (keep stirring now and then so the dish won’t burn) Let the vegetable cook well in onion and tomato mixture.
- When all the liquid is evaporated and the drumsticks are cooked take out and serve with rice and curd.
Note: You can add more water if the water added evaporates before the vegetable is cooked.