When it comes to Mangalorean cuisine ivy gourd plays an important role. Curry, stir fry, yogurt curry, fry and many other popular dishes can be prepared by this tasty vegetable. Chickpeas and ivy gourd is one old combination used mainly in South Karnataka.
- Ivy gourd/ Thondekayi- 1/2 kg
- Black chickpeas- 1 cup (soaked overnight)
- Red chilly- 5-6
- Cumin seeds- 1 tbs
- Coriander seeds- 2 tbs
- Garlic- 3 cloves
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tbs
- Grated coconut- 3/4 cup
- Jaggery- 1 tbs
- Mustard- 1 tbs
- Urd Dal- 1 tbs
- Garlic crushed- 2 cloves
- Curry leaves- 4-5
- Oil- 2 tbs
- Red Chilly- 1
- Cook chick peas separately in pressure cooker adding little salt and drain it and keep it aside.
- Cook ivy gourd separately with little water and salt until it becomes soft.
- Now roast chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic and grind it along with turmeric powder, coconut and jaggery with out adding water.
- Place a deep pan and add oil and ground masala, stir it for a minute
- Add cooked ivy gourd and chickpeas and stir it well. Sprinkle little water and close the lid, let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Tamper it with the ingredients mentioned under seasoning and serve it with chapathi or rice.